The miracle of the Five loaves and two fishes is my all time favorite story from the Bible in teaching the kids about the importance of sharing. Is it possible to make the story come true using newspaper and some colors? Read along and you will know.
Things you’ll need:
- Chart/cardboard sheet (or any thick paper)
- White sheet
- Crayons & Felt pens
- Short Strips of colored paper (Optional)
1) Cut the chart into small rectangular sheets of desired size – one sheet for each kid.
2) Draw and cut small boat shapes from the newspaper as shown. Make sure it fits inside the pice of chart you have prepared in the previous step.
3) Fold the boat-shaped paper into halves and draw parallel lines on the body of the boat. Cut through the lines.
4) Make short strips of the paper. You can use the same newspaper or any colored paper as I have.
5) The Basket
Skip this step if you are using this craft for students from primary and above because they are old enough to understand and do this step themselves. If you are handling beginner students complete the weaving for the body of the boat.
After you finish weaving through the body, stick the edges and cut off the extra bits.
Cut thin strips of hollow semi-circle for the handle of the basket.
Paste the completed basket and the handle on to the chart sheet ready for the beginner kids to do some finishing touches.
6) Five loaves and two fishes
On a white sheet of paper, draw patterns of fishes and loaves. You can follow my example below or simply invent one. Just make sure your fishes and loaves are small enough to fit in your basket.
Cut the shapes – five loaves and two fishes for each kid.
1) Narrate the story
2) If the students are beginners, hand-over the basket you’ve prepared for them. If the kids are Primary students and above, give them a plain sheet of the chart and guide them through the 5th step explained in preparation section.
3) Once the basket is complete, give five loaves and two fishes for each child to color.
4) While they color you can talk to them more about the theme that you have chosen for the lesson. As the complete ask them to place the food in the basket.
The 5 loaves and 2 fishes take-away is complete ! 🙂